Thursday, August 5, 2010

THING #14

It was fascinating to see all the kazillions of blogs out there, but I have to admit I felt a bit frustrated in my search. I tayped in "School Library Learning 2.0" in blog posts, tags and blog directory, and I came up with nada. I tried again, but it still kept saying no results found, even when I tried to refine the search. That was frustrating.

I then search through both posts and directories for some of my interests - religion, education and the British royal family. I found out some tidbits and found some sites on the emergent church that I will be interested to read more about.

One thing that I think would be useful about this for students is in a research lesson teaching students to differentiate between reliable and biased sources. Of course, it is helpful to see what large numbers of people are doing, but it is also a good chance to remind them that just because it is on the internet doesn't mean it is true. They need to learn to be discerning in what they use. I think that is a valuable skill for all of us when we are so flooded with information and opinions.

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea for teaching our students the difference between reliable and biased sources! I hadn't thought of that. Excellent point!

    ReplyDelete